
It was an early morning in St. Croix, up at 3:30 for some breakfast and coffee (a few cups of black coffee and a little oatmeal) The transition opens at 5am and we were there about 5:10, I got a great spot on the rack and started getting ready. It was already about 82deg. and very humid.
The Swim: The swim starts with a warm up swim over to a little island that has a nice sandy beach about 300m off the main island. The pro Men go first then the women and then the AG's. I am in the second wave to start. I had a great start and get around the first buoy in 3rd and stay on the guys feet. He has a good pace and I decide not to push it and just sit in. I came out of the water 3rd with a swim of 28:40 (1:27/100m)
The Bike: The bike course is very difficult to say the least. It starts with a hilly 8 mile loop back through town and then out to the other side of the island. At mile 20 came the hill they call "the beast" and rightfully so. I could stay seated on a few little sections but for the most part it was everything you had to just keep moving. It is a little less than a mile long and peaks out at 21% with the inside of the corners at 27%. A lot of people get off and walk. I was able to take it easy and felt pretty good over the top. The course then turns to the south side of the island that is constant rollers and is exposed and windy. I got into a good rhythm and kept it rolling. A few more hills and back into town 2:45:02 (20.4mph) There were only 2 bikes in my AG racks. It turns out the 2 guys who beat me on the swim didn't finish the race, they didn't even start the bike?
The Bike: The bike course is very difficult to say the least. It starts with a hilly 8 mile loop back through town and then out to the other side of the island. At mile 20 came the hill they call "the beast" and rightfully so. I could stay seated on a few little sections but for the most part it was everything you had to just keep moving. It is a little less than a mile long and peaks out at 21% with the inside of the corners at 27%. A lot of people get off and walk. I was able to take it easy and felt pretty good over the top. The course then turns to the south side of the island that is constant rollers and is exposed and windy. I got into a good rhythm and kept it rolling. A few more hills and back into town 2:45:02 (20.4mph) There were only 2 bikes in my AG racks. It turns out the 2 guys who beat me on the swim didn't finish the race, they didn't even start the bike?
The Run: The run course is very hilly and does 2 loops. I felt good coming out of transition but that did not last long. The heat and humidity were taking everything out of me. I couldn't keep a gel down so I stared drinking a little cola about mile 6. The cola started to work and I got some energy back. During my first lap Craig Alexander passed me and I thought it was someone on a bike! (he ran a 1:15 half!) They had aid stations every half mile and I used all of them, water, cola, sponges, I took everything and tried to stay cool. 2 guys in my AG passed me and I had nothing to stay with them. 1:40:41 (7:42 miles) and I finished 5th in my AG. I was a little less than 8 minutes from a Kona slot. I did get a 70.3 World Champions spot but didn't take it. 
St. Croix is such a great race and so well run. I will tell you it is a bit of a hassle to get to but well worth it. We stayed the next week on the island and I got some good training in. I will go back at some point and knowing the course will definitely help out. I learned a lot and from this race and am looking forward to the rest of the season.